The potato and carrot vegan cheese is a great invention (unfortunately not my own idea) and can be tweaked and adapted according to the ingredients and seasonings you have to hand or those you prefer. If you like a bit of spice and heat, add some cayenne or chilli powder, for example. It’s so quick and simple too.
Pasta, broccoli and cauliflower with potato and carrot cheese
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
2 medium potatoes
½ cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
½ cup nutritional yeast
1-1½ teaspoons salt (according to taste)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
pinch onion powder
pinch garlic powder
½ head of cauliflower
½ head of broccoli
200g egg-free pasta
Black pepper to taste
UPDATE 22nd July 2015: through further experimentation I’ve found the “cheese” really benefits from a large pinch each of mustard powder and paprika
- Chop and boil the potatoes and carrots. When soft, after approximately 5-7 minutes, drain and put into a blender.
- Add the water, olive oil, nutritional yeast, salt, lemon juice, vegetable bouillon powder, and a pinch each of garlic powder and onion powder (mustard powder and paprika if using). Blend until smooth.
- Chop the cauliflower and the broccoli into florets and boil until tender.
- Boil the pasta in a separate saucepan until cooked.
- Drain the pasta, cauliflower and broccoli. Chop the vegetables roughly.
- Put the pasta into a dish, then stir the sauce and the chopped vegetables through. Add fresh ground black pepper to taste.